Saturday, April 8, 2017

4-8-17  Southern Wings Birding Club at George Pierce County Park:

Yea!  I found a club!  Unfortunately they only meet once a month, but today was the meeting for this month.  I almost missed it----I did an internet search a couple days ago for birding clubs and saw this one with an outing to George Pierce Park today.  I've been curious about the Suwanee trail there since that's the trail that's suppose to eventually connect to the one here by our complex, so I emailed the person listed on the site and waited for a reply.  Come Friday there was still no reply.  So when we were out, we stopped by the Wild Bird Store nearby and asked if they knew anything about the event.  She gave me a couple phone numbers and info on where they were meeting today.

So I got up bright and early---8 am, and was out the door about 8:20.  Made my way to the park and easily found the group.  It was a brisk morning---about 60---but warmed up into the mid 60s by noon.  We had 17 in our group.  Everyone was very friendly.  We spent about 3 1/2 hours wandering a mile or 2 out and then retracing our steps.  I believe they tallied 47 different species of birds.  The birds here were much harder to find then the ones at Wakodahatchee, but it was still fun.  And I loved the walkway!  I didn't take my "birding" lens since it's so big and I didn't know if I'd be able to rest if on railings now and then, but someone else had one like it on a tripod.  Turned out there were several rails that I could have rested it on for taking pictures.  I will be going back there with that lens.  I will also be going back there with my bike!

And we're off----
 looking back at the rest of the group. 


 a view of the greenway
 the first bird I was able to get a picture of
 Even saw a few wild flowers.
 and lots of marsh land.
 A good part of the pathway was a boardwalk.

 lots of water for the birds to enjoy
 coming up to part of the boardwalk with railing.  We spend quite a bit of time in that area.
 some more birds I was able to spot easily.
 lots of hiding places for the smaller birds
 another common bird
 off in the distance is another viewing pier that we went to.
 zoomed into it.
 One of the smaller birds posing for me.  Eastern Kingbird, I think.
 another male red-winged blackbird
 above bird in flight.
 red shouldered hawk quite far away.
 more interesting "flowers".
 Where's Waldo---the Kingfisher?
 blue-gray gnatcatcher
 another view of the gnatcatcher
 female red-winged blackbird
 Canadian geese
 Some of the group
 more colorful plants.  I think these are what we saw budding out creating a red haze on the trees in early spring. 
 Eastern Kingbird, again.
 a squirrel checking us out.
 I was surprised this was also called the Ivy Creek Greenway.  That's what the greenway by us is.  I thought this was the Suwanee Greenway.
 one of the MANY turtles.
 This goose looked like it has eggs in it's nest.
 Looking back on our group again. 
 some of the trees along the trail.
 We even saw 3 Great Blue Herons.
 this reminds me of South Florida---with the stick in the foreground looking like an alligator and a Great Blue Heron in the distance.
 Yep---more geese.
 More came flying in.
 coming in for a landing.
 the only baby we saw---mother wood duck and her baby.  Some of the members said she had 3 babies last time they were here.
 She wasn't in the open very much, so I took too many pictures of them when they were.
 One more with the baby charging out ahead.
 continuing down the path
 Someone said this was a red shoulder hawk's nest.
 our fearless guide. 
 starting back---it was here Angie called to say they got another profile request for their adoption procedures.  They've been approved for about 2 months now and have had 2 profile requests.  This baby is a very small baby girl---just over 3 lbs.  Last one was a boy just over 5 lbs. 
 view of the wetlands from the viewing deck.
 more turtles.
 more trees.
 Kingbird again?
 Great Blue Heron on the hunt for lunch.

 some of the group up ahead.
Wonder what they're looking at?!
a mallard.
 lots of water.
 a pileated woodpecker.
 and to end with a little colorful turtle.
It was a fun group.  I liked the way everyone wandered around on their own, then with each other, then with someone else, then ... .  We weren't herded into a tight group.  Everyone was eager to point out their bird discoveries to everyone else.  No one was in a hurry.  My kind of photo shoot!  Too bad they don't meet more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment