Sunday, April 30, 2017

4-29-17 Slotin Folk Art auction:

"The Strange, The Unusual, The Vanishing America!" ---straight from their webpage.  And they are right about that!  There are some, what I call, really great pieces, then there are the strange and unusual pieces, too.
OK, this one I do think is really nice.    It sold for $1,300.
close up of some of the cute little animals.


This was part of a 3 piece painting that went for $5,500!  It had an estimated value of $10,000-$20,000.  So I guess the buyer got a bargain.
Then there was this Coke bottle painting that went for $3,700!  There is a whole series of these bottle paintings.  There were 2 more in this auction which sold for a little less, but still over $1000@.
I actually liked these, too---homemade mini cotton shirts--a bargain at $25.
This "Human Sculpture" went for $2,500.  Interesting the way it uses a bunch of media, but where would you put something like this?  (Especially like the use of the tennis racket.  I think I had that very same racket once upon a time.)
Bow Tie (Clarinet) went for $1000.
I liked this---Liberty Whale---which went for $700
???? Bucket Effigy.  Wonder what makes someone pay $1,400 for it???!!!!
I also like this---a steal at a mere $450!
I really liked these flags---$1200 for the one on top; $3200 for the bottom one.    Ohhh---and the "Mini skirt girl gang" which I have a corner of showing here went for $3400!
There were a ton of jugs there, too.  Most went for around $125@, but I saw at least one that went for $1600!
I liked these roosters.  The set of 3 went for $125
I rather liked this one, too---"Marche En Provence", which went for $400 (I guess my taste in Folk Art isn't very good!)  Note the picture above it (which I didn't at the time)---"Alligator attacking Bathers"!  It sold for $400 also, but who would want that!?
A view back towards the auction floor and audience.  It's not a very big building, but they take in a LOT of money!!!
Didn't catch what these sold for either.  Wonder if they were a kid's toys.
this bazaar little alligator sold for $850.
There were even 4 framed collections of ME and VT State Fair ribbons.  This one went for $100, as did 2 more of the 4.  The other one went for $50
Having made a few quilts of my own, I really appreciated the work that went into this one.  It sold for $1,100.  I wonder if the creator came up with the unique design or if it's a popular design.  At any rate, I haven't seen it before.
general idea of how things were displayed.  Love the painted container and all the canes.
Liked the feel of this one---"Life in the Day of a Sharecropper"---sold for $125
This was part of a collection of 2 (the other being a horse).  They went for $600.
This was a set of 3 works by Benny Carter that went for $800.  I like the symmetric style of this---but I don't remember there being palm trees by the Statue of Liberty!
another of the set of 3  I like the way the frames were incorporated into the picture
Something about about this really appeals to me, too----Memories of Grandma, part of a 2 piece set that went for $450.
part of a 13 piece collection of Elvis art---this piece made me laugh.  The collection sold for $350
I even thought this was interesting---Chicken Feeding ; went for $350
"Patriotic and Lovebird Suitcase"  --- gives me an idea of what I can do with all the old suitcases we have laying around!  It went for $550.
I really liked this lot of 70 Highway man style paintings by Pat Rollins!  I even considered bidding on them.  There wasn't a single painting of the 70 that I didn't like.  It went for $400.  
Liked this style, too---Animals in the Jungle; went for $375.  Reminds me a bit of Rosalie Prussing who does Hawaiian paintings.
There were a ton of odds and ends sculptures throughout the auction, too,  mostly odds!  Like this broken wooden boat that went for $100.
This guy reminds me of one of my Granddogs.  He was part of a lot of 9 carved items that went for $275.
This large bear bank went for $150---wonder if there was any money in it?!
these guys went for $50 for the set of 3.
So did these Beavers and Creatures ($25)
This is one of the things I like about fold art----it is done on just about any medium you can imagine!  I can't seem to find what it sold for, dang it.
Loved the colors and style of this art by Carol Salas---it went for $800
I thought this was a clever use of old paint brushes--- "Four Paint Brush Heads" , which sold for $1300.
Here's one of the paintings Angie and Josh hoped to get, but when it quickly jumped up over $1000, they didn't even get a bid in.  It ended up selling for $1,100.
Soon after that, we left.  One of the first Slotin auctions where they didn't get anything.
I may not be a collector of Folk Art, or any art for that matter, but I do enjoying seeing it.  They put on a really nice auction here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment