Wednesday, April 19, 2017

4-19-17  My 1st, but not last, bike ride on the Suwanee Greenway!

This is what's suppose to be connected to the short greenway by our apartments, but apparently they're still trying to buy land for the extension.   But I was curious about riding my bike on the Suwanee Greenway, especially after walking a mile of it to take pictures a couple times.  So today I loaded up my bike and drove to the greenway.  I only got about 7 miles in, but didn't feel like riding along McGinnis Ferry when the trail came to it.  But it was a beautiful and easy ride!
A lot of the trail is shaded with lots of trees.
 There were also a fair amount of boardwalks---all in excellent condition.


Mostly pretty flat, too.
 Loved that it was all paved or boardwalk and so flat.  The Ivy Creek Greenway by our apartments is half off road with rocks and sand, or paved with some really big hills.

 I believe that is the L-Suwanee road I'm about to go under.

 coming up to the McGinnis Ferry rd.
 this is the steepest part of the trail.
 Looks like the trail continues along the roadway, but I decided to turn around here---this time.
 Although there is a fair amount of elevation to the road, the boardwalk switchbacks made it not too bad.
 back on the paved trail

 liked that it wasn't busy, too.
 to the right goes to an elementary school---which is gated until 4pm on school days.
 the huge pond area where I spent a lot of time taking pictures on my 2 previous trips to George Pierce park (where the Suwanee Greenway ends).
 lots of pretty wild flowers in many places, too.
 I even took the short route to where the extension is suppose to connect from.  Looks like it's used by someone.
 looking back to the left from the end of the trail
 to the right are the "adult" ball fields.
 I was impressed with the trail.  I will be back!

After dinner, we rode out to Old Ferderal Park, again,--our go-to sunset spot by the Lake.  The lake is still way down.  But there were kids playing in the water.  Maybe our 80s in the daytime are warming up the lake.  But the 60's at night are probably cooling it off, too.  Note the end of the "swimming area" is still out of the water.
 There is a little peninsula here.  The above beach is to the north of the peninsula, this picture shows the beach to the south.  It, too, is way down.  The white poles and yellow tape mark off the swimming area.
 looking west from the peninsula.
 Not a very long lasting or very spectacular sunset, but better then watching tv!
Now to get to packing.  Tomorrow I'm off to St. Louis with Angie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment