Saturday, April 29, 2017

4-28-17 up to the Gwinnett County Environmental and Heritage Center and a stroll through George Pierce Park:

I actually found a photography club to go to last night and they mentioned the Environmental Center right by our apartments is looking for photography items to sell in their gift shop.  I've been wanting to go check it out (I've only seen the center from the outside), so I decided to walk up there today.  It's only about 3/4 miles walk from our apartment, through part of the Ivy Creek Greenway.
Lots to see there right now.  I think this is a tulip tree? 
I think these are wild rhodies.


blackberries
?  They are really pretty when all the little buds open up.  They're even pretty in the fall when they turn into dried flowers.
the trail leading up to the Environmental and Heritage Center.
another pretty clump of little wild flowers
about to cross a road by the center.
another cluster flower---with a daddy long legs on it.
looking into the greenway
the back of the center from the trail.
there are a lot of grade school field trips here---I assume these have something to do with them?!
and these----
little waterfall between the buildings making up the center.
heading up to the center


a lonely iris
still heading up to the front
the entrance
little pond by the entrance
lots of turtles and koi here---guess the Great Blue Herons haven't discovered this pond yet.

another little critter on the grounds. 
When I got into the center, I found out there's an entrance fee---$10 for Gwinnett county residents.   Wasn't going to pay that---actually couldn't pay it since I didn't bring my wallet.  Should have looked in the gift shop!  But I just left.

Ken suggested we go to  Hammerheads Bar and Seafood Grill for dinner.  We went to it once when we were dog sitting.  I had grouper fish fingers then and they were very good, so I had no problems going again.  Ken got the grouper this time and I got a salad with chicken on it---both were very good (I'm trying to do the salad thing for a while and see if I magically lose weight!)  I guess since it was the weekend (Friday), they had live music.  I really liked this guy's singing!  Hope he's a regular.  I think we'll be regulars there on Friday nights now.  Nice having our "set" restaurants.
 Since we were in Suwanee and not far from George Pierce Park, I suggested we go there and walk off some of our dinner.  Looked like the lake was down since we were last here---or is the flora just taking over?!
 the boardwalk by the "lake"
 heard a lot of geese, but didn't see much in the way of wildlife.
 But it was a beautiful evening for a walk.
 love seeing all the Spring blooms.
 Don't know what kind of tree these are, but I believe they're responsible for the wonderful smell in the air all over Georgia right now.
 So glad that Spring is finally here!
 The trees are leafing out quickly.
 more wild flowers.

 So pretty how the wild flowers are lining the boardwalk.

and the flowering trees.

 by now the sun was getting low.
 an interesting leaf
We wondered over to the adult softball fields and watched some softball.  I really miss playing sports and filming sports.  But I did talk to the score keeper and she took my name and email address in hopes of finding me some volleyball.  Even if I couldn't play, it was a nice night to be out at the park watching others having fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment