Wednesday, March 8, 2017

3-8-17  Gibbs Garden!

20,000,000 daffodils!!!!  That's what they advertise.  So I HAD to go see for myself!  I LOVE daffodils!  I think subconsciously I started liking them because they're the first color we'd see after the dreadfully long dull St. Louis winters.
I had read about a garden north of SR20 between Buford and I-75, so I decided to look it up when we were on our way back from Knoxville a couple days ago.  That's when I saw the pictures of the daffodils and the claim that they have the most daffodils of anywhere in the USA.  Unfortunately, they're closed on Mondays, so we couldn't stop then (about a 20 minute ride out of our way).  But I texted Angie and asked her if she wanted to go with me later in the week.  She said yes, so we decided on today.   I wasn't sure if they would have many daffodils still blooming since it's been really warm this winter and they bloomed early, but my fears were unwarranted.  (Good thing we went when we did!  The whole next week we were hit with the coldest air of the winter with temps down in the 20 a few days!)
Our ride would have been a bit shorter if they hadn't been painting lines on the new part of SR20.  We were stuck at the light for 3 rotations before they let us go.
  The ride from Buford was about an hour, but it's through countryside, so it is pretty. 


Even rode along part of the "Trail of Tears". It's a term used for the removal of the Cherokee Nation in 1838. 
 Thought it was interesting that this cow was following these donkeys.
 Gibb's sign.
 the ride into the gardens from the sign.
 glimpse from the ride in of what was to come---
 not even there yet----
Unfortunately Gibb's is not a reciprocal garden with MOBOT, so we had a $20/person fee.  A membership was $50/year and came with 1 free guest pass, so I'm now a member of that garden, too.  Used the free guest pass to get Angie in.  At first we were surprised to see how busy it was since it's in the middle of nowhere, but after seeing all the daffodils, I can see why.
 Beautifully landscaping leading to the entrance.
 even a waterfall!
 We had a bit of a wait to get our ticket even though there were 5 people working the registers.    but soon we were in the garden.
 Really---what makes someone think they can pick the flowers in a garden?!
 We saw several of these guys around the park. I'm assuming they're to scare deer away from eating all the flowers.  Looks like this one was in a fight!
 The park was much bigger and nicer then I expected (being so far from everything)!  Even the areas between specialized parts of the garden were scenic. 
 an early spring flower
 heading to the hillsides with all the daffodils. 
 love the signs telling you where the daffodils are---as if you couldn't see 20,000,000 daffodils!
 I think we missed peak daffodil season by about a week, but it was still gorgeous!
 so many different kinds of daffodils, too.
 We actually saw some people walking in the flowers!  Obviously they've seen people sitting in the flowers, too, or they wouldn't have to put up this sign.
 pretty in peach
 a small section of daffodils.

 another kind of daffodil
 we headed up the hill.  They have paths all the way to the top and the whole hill is covered in daffodils.
 the daffodils with the long trumpets.
 a pretty double ruffle daffodil.

 it was like this for acres.
 another unusual kind of daffodil


 looking down from about half way up the hill
 seating for enjoying the view.
 heading back down.








 looking back up the hill
 back to the pavilion.
 interesting overflow
 a lone wild flower.
 one of the many seats along the way
 The Van Gogh bridge.  I understand there are water lilies in this pond and a flowering vine on the bridge (wisteria?).  Hopefully I'll get back whey they're in bloom.
 flowering bushes beginning to bloom.
 on through the "children's sculpture garden" on our way to the Japanese Garden.


 Their Japanese garden was really impressive, too! 
 entering the Japanese garden.

 a rock owl
 there were even daffodils here.
 a rock lantern.

 love the weeping willows.

 even saw a few butterflies.


 I really love the rock sculptures. 
 It was even pretty this time of year.

 There were several seating areas in this part of the garden, too.




 I guess I took enough pictures with the weeping willows!



 Can't wait to see this part of the garden when the all trees have their leaves.

 love all the lanterns by the reflection pools, too.


 one last picture of the Japanese Garden.

 heading back to the exit.
 through the sculpture garden.



 back by the Van Gogh bridge.
 more daffodils
 there's even a cafe near the main building.  No inside seating, but there was a lot of outside seating.
 looking back towards the Japanese Garden.
 passing the cafe seating area.
 artwork by the exit.
 the potted flowers near the entrance.
We spent a few hours there.  According to my Fitbit we got about 3.5 miles of walking in while wandering around the garden.  So glad I looked it up on the internet while the daffodils were blooming!  Too bad I didn't check it a week before!
 On to our scenic ride back.  One of the nicest barns I've seen in our travels.
I didn't know what to expect, but it was better then I had imagined!  Plus it was fun being on a mother/daughter excursion again.  We haven't done many of them since we left Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment