Thursday, March 30, 2017

3-29-17 State Botanical Gardens of Georgia, Athens:

According to MOBOT, the garden in Athens is another reciprocal garden.  It's just under an hour away from here, so we decided to go check it out.  I was a little concerned when I saw online that it's actually free for everyone, not just members.  Seems like if it's free for everyone, it wouldn't be all that great.  But I was mistaken, it was another really beautiful garden.
Even the ride to Athens was nice---not a lot of traffic, mostly state highways, beautiful weather... .
 Just in the past few days I've noticed a lot more green in the trees.  Pollen counts are soaring, but it's beginning to look a lot like Spring.


 I missed getting a picture of the real garden sign, but this station was near the entrance, too.
 I thought we'd see a lot of tulips this time of year, but this garden didn't have a lot of them.  It did have a lot of really pretty pansies, though.
 I don't know what these are, but there were a lot of them and in many different colors.
 Also a lot of different colored pansies.
 an interesting flowering tree.
 We had a bit of a walk to the visitors' center down a series of steps and wooded area.  But finally came to the visitors' center/gift shop/restaurant.
 They even have a small orchid area in the visitors' center building.
 Irises???  A little early??
 PALM TREES!!!!  Obviously they do ok in this area.  Why aren't there more of them in the landscaped yards????  I sure would have a few!
 one of the many structured garden areas.
 there were even a few daffodils blooming.

 Bachelor Buttons?---they remind me of the field up the street from where I lived in Oregon as a child.  We use to go there and pick wild bachelor buttons and pinks for my Mom.

 looks like the cherry trees are finally in full bloom.
 this garden has a lot of weird little spiky flowers.
And a lot of Bumble Bees.
 Love the cherry blossoms.
 I'm not the only one enjoying them---I wanted to look over this gals shoulder and see what she was drawing, but respected her space.
 Looking back towards the cherry trees.
 Japanese dogwood blossoms.  I don't think our dogwood in St. Louis blooms until May.
Typical woodlands in the garden.  There are several trails in the woods, too, but we stuck mainly to the paved trails.
 another daffodil.
 I believe this little guy is an Eastern Kingbird. 
 more into the woods.
 There's even a day chapel here.  Bet they have a lot of beautiful weddings here!
 Uhhhh?????
I believe these were marked as something like an Irish Rose.
 looking back at the chapel again.
 I believe these are Carolina Moonlights.
 This terraced area is suppose to be a rose garden.  A little early for roses.
 Wonder if this garden is open at night?
 there are lots of boardwalks in this park.
 and other walkways.
 Even a statue here and there.
 and lots of steps.
 I remember going to the Atl Botanical Gardens about 5 years ago when they had a gate exhibit.  I wonder if they did it at this garden, too.  Both gardens have 3 or 4 fancy gates on display within the gardens now.
 Ken resting while I check out another part of the garden.
 Thought I saw tulips there, but it was more daffodils.
 and some more cherry trees in bloom.
 Love seeing designs shadows make.
 There were a lot of little contained areas within the park.  Each one with it's own cuteness.   One of the things I really liked about this one was the way the bricks were used to make the fence. 
 There were several pavilions and seating areas throughout the gardens, too.
 a wedding photographer could spend hours taking wedding party photos in this park!
 Florida dogwoods.
 Back to the gardens near the visitors' center.
 This little guy picked a good place to call home!
 Hark----I found a few tulips!
 and a couple weeping redbuds!  I didn't know there was such a thing!
 another statue by the little stream.

Pretty little pink flowers.
 Looks like something was enjoying eating these pansies.
 another tulip---and other pretty landscaping.
 another bumble bee.
 another garden by the entrance.

 We sat outside the entrance for awhile.  This guy came to visit us.
 so we headed on---first to this world fountain.
 Then we headed back into the garden and around the side of the visitors' center to another part of the garden.  I love the potted plants all along the rail of this bridge.
 The view of the little stream from near it's end.
 Wiggin's Yellow Holly berries.
 Ended up by the front of the visitors' center where a group of statues were on the lawn.
 It was named "Field Trip"
 Back to the colorful pansies.
 and interesting greenery.
 And back up the steps to the parking lot and on our way out of the park.
 It was a warm day---84 there in Athens, but the breeze felt good.  After stopping at Panera Bread for lunch, we were back on the state highways heading back to Buford.  Nice rolling countryside.
It was another great day.  A bit warm for March, but that makes me wonder if our complex's pool will be warm enough to use pretty soon!  We were back in the outdoor pool in South Florida by the end of March last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment