Thursday, September 29, 2016

Sept. 23, 2016---Snorkel Bolongo bay, then off to the airport for me:

Yep, another beautiful day here on the island.  My flight wasn't until about 4pm, so we decided to go snorkeling again.  Angie was on the hunt for turtles.  Last time the only place we saw one was at Bolongo Bay, so that's where we decided to go again.  Another beautiful bay.
trying to be artsie
Don't know if the resort was open.  Looked like there was a lot of renovating being done.


There's lots of grass here, which turtles like to eat.
Heading out to the point and looking back at the resort.
school of blue tang.
I saw some of these guys in Key West, but I forget what they are.  He was rather deep so I didn't get a good picture of him.
some coral out at the point.
more deep crevices.

out around the point
colorful shell on some fan coral
terrain on the way back in
as we were heading in, Angie spotted this guy.  So we followed him
he even stopped to eat and let us take pictures of him.


some of the fishies near the turtle
beautiful shell
looking over towards the point
looking back to the resort
back on the beach I noticed this iguana up in the tree above us.
We headed back to Margaritaville from there.  Found this forest of mushroom by the parking lot.
It was still relatively early, so we hung out in the pool some more.
inside the pool bar
looking out to the pool from the bar

great pool

We thought we'd share a nachos for lunch, but the iguana thought he should get some, too.  When he looked like he was ready to jump, we decided to take our lunch to one of the tables not in the pool. 
Saw some chickens at the resort, too, but they didn't make a lot of noise.

After cleaning up and packing my beach bag for my trip home, we headed towards the airport.  We had time, so we swung by Brewers Beach just past the airport.   We were told there were lots of turtles there, so the kids came prepared to snorkel there after dropping me off.
looked pretty nice
The airstrip is on the berm on the other side of the bay.
this little guy was singing for us.
Angie and Josh checking out the beach.  They did go back and said they saw 3 turtles within minutes of entering the water and a total of 7 or 8 in the hour or so they were there.
The email reminder from Spirit airlines said to get to the airport 3 hours early.  We hedged that to 2 1/2 hours early.  Only took 20 minutes to go from the car through customs, then security.   So I was very early.  I hoped to have a view of the islands again.
But the sun was at such an angle by the time we left that the islands and water weren't as pretty.  Only took this one picture while taking off.  So long St. Thomas.  This was my 5th trip there.  3 of those were just for the day on cruises.  Lovely little island.
I had another layover in FLL.  I was really surprised when I had to leave security, go out of the terminal we landed at, walk down to another terminal and go through security, again, even though I was continuing on another Spirit flight!  I did have a 3 hour layover, so time was a factor for me, but I imagine it could have been for many others!

I didn't know if it was going to be worth the time and money to go there for such a short time, but it was worth it!  Weather was great, accommodations were great, and best of all --- company was great!  Sure glad I got the upgrade and was able to join them!

No comments:

Post a Comment