Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Sept. 13, 2016  not your normal last day!

It started out good!  The sun was shining and the water was a beautiful blue.  Ken said all the beaches were listed as black again, so I didn't pursue snorkeling ---- too much.  I think Ken is ready to go home and sit in front of the tv all day again.  I suggested going to Na aina kai since we have reciprocal membership, but he didn't want to do that either.

At least I was able to enjoy the views from our lanai again.  
At 11 I went down to the office to check in for our flights tomorrow and to print out our boarding passes.   Ken picked me up from there and we took off to Kapaa in search of breakfast.  He decided he didn't like the cereal we bought this last time.  I love driving by all the palm trees.  I can't believe we're back to living in a place without them!


I always neglect to show the golf courses, but if you're a golfer, there are some great ones here.  This is part of the Wailua golf course---considered more reasonably priced.  Last I heard a game here was around $35, but that was a few years ago.
This doesn't show it very well, but I love the contrast of the yellow-greeng foliage and blue skies.  I believe these are sugar cane that just grow wild now.
Breakfast was at Kountry Kitchen---another of our favorite places, but they aren't open for dinner.  They've renovated since we were here!  Still looks nice and still has great food.
love the pineapple trim on this buffet.
my $7 mac nut pancake---bigger then the plate!  and packed full of macadamia nuts.  Very good, but i could only eat about a third of it.  Ken even helped a bit.  I guess if I get up early enough tomorrow I can have some before we leave.  I know Ken will want to be on the road before 8, even though our flight isn't until 11 and the airport is only 4 miles away.  Nothing like sitting at an airport for 3 hours before your 15 hours of flight (not to mention a couple more hours layover in San Diego and Miami).
 This is the way they bring your bill to you----cute idea!
I forgot to mention in yesterday's blog that when we tried to leave Kilauea after sunset, the car didn't want to start.  It clicked a few times.  We were about to call Budget to get a jump for it.  But it finally started.  Ken said it didn't look like it was charging fully.   Today was our last full day here, but figured we didn't want to start tomorrow with a dead battery if that is the problem, so off to Lihue we went.
Got to drive by some more fields of palm trees!
Also noticed the Coco Palms getting more and more blocked by the foliage by the road.
 Bet it would have been really neat to be here in it's hay day!
 Got to Budget and was able to skip the line since we are Fastbreak and noone waiting for their car was.   They gave us a Ford Escape for today.  And we were off.
Headed to a park near Nawiliwili, but I can't remember the name of it.  Saw these ducks there.  Reminds me of South Florida where these Muscovy ducks roam wild like the chickens here.
 I think he brought me here to throw our lei flowers in the ocean---to ensure that we come back, but I forgot.  I was tickled with something different to photograph on Kauai.
 Love marina shots.

 Yep, I love taking marina pictures.
 Actually I love taking pictures!
 Then we went over to Kauai Bound in Anchor Cove.  I had talked to the owner---Chris---when we were in Maui when I was trying to find a new camera.  Hoped he sold them.  He doesn't, but rents them and I had intended to rent the Olympus TG-4 to see if I liked it.  Only problem was the snorkeling here on the South side was not good these last few days and I never knew if i was going to get to snorkel or not.  But we went to talk to him and get his advice.  Very nice guy!  I highly recommend him if you need to rent a camera, chair, snorkel, golf clubs and other stuff, or even want to purchase beautiful photos. 
Since we were by Kalapaki, I went and took a few pictures of it.
 Chris, from Kauai Bound, told us he snorkels over here on the far side of the bay and that it's quite good.  Another spot to add to our list!  15 trips and still finding more places to check out.  Actually looked like it would have been good to go there today!
Our new ride.  I keep trying to get Ken to trade in our 2003 Ford Escape into one of these new ones, but haven't had any luck.
 Loved the clouds in this picture.
 loved the red flowers in this one.
My fish for the day!  Looks like an albino moorish idol.
 Then we went to Kuhui lighthouse at Ninini point---the lighthouse the planes fly over when landing.  The road was in really good shape this year.
 looking towards the bay.
looking towards the ocean shoreline.
We like to come to this spot and watch for whales in the winter.  No whales today.
 I like photographing lighthouses, too.
The road to Ninini takes us through the Marriott grounds and golf course.  
 we decided to head to Baby beach in Kapaa to throw our flowers in, but as we were heading there, a "low tire" light came on.  Not wanting to wake up to a flat tire and not wanting to go back to Budget, we went in search of a tire pump.  The gas stations had some, but wanted $1.25 in quarters for air and we didn't know which tire was low.  Ended up finding Napa Auto parts and they sent us down the road to Kevin's automotive repair.  The gentleman there was very nice and let Ken check the tires and add air.  Turns out 2 tires were low.
 We did drive by Baby Beach, but it was packed full of babies.  Didn't want to throw my flowers at them, so we went on.  Now it was 5:30 and time to eat again.   We tried going to Brick Oven Pizza only to find that it was closed!  So we went back to tried and true----Olympic Cafe.  I think they're going to miss us when we're gone!  I was tired of fish, so got the pork platter.  It was excellent!  Ken got the seafood platter again.
 After dinner I suggested we go back to Kauai Beach Villas and check out the sunset from our room.  This was looking west from our 3rd floor balcony.
This was looking East from our lanai.
I decided to run down to the beach there and throw our flowers in here.  Shot this to the west as I was walking to the beach.
almost to the beach.
This mess of nets and trash had floated up onto the beach today.
Beautiful evening to sit at the beach and watch the sky turn colors---even if it is to the East.
I threw the flowers in here---no string or plastic bits, just the now dried flowers.
 Looks like in a couple more days it'll be a full moon.  It was nice and bright tonight.
wide angle with the moon showing 
When it was pretty dark, I took a walk around the resort.  Got a fitbit a couple months ago and trying to get 10,000 steps/day in.  Did pretty good in Maui.  Slacking off here---only getting about 8000/day here.
As I was walking down one of the sidewalks of Kauai Beach Villas, 2 of these guys were having dinner.  I didn't want to get too close.  I understand they will charge, so I stopped and watched them awhile.  Was about to turn around and go a different way when they noticed me and took off, squealing all the way.
Back at the condo, I packed up my stuff.  Managed to get it all back into carry on luggage!  Not looking forward to tomorrow, but I guess that's the price we pay to spend some time here and on Maui!

No comments:

Post a Comment