Thursday, September 8, 2016

Sept. 7, 2016  snorkel Kee and sunset at Tunnels:

It was nice leaving a condo without having much to pack.  The advantage of a mini vacation within a vacation---we left almost everything at The Cliffs which was only about 3 miles away.   We were out of the Shearwater by the 10 am departure time.  Back at the Cliffs we just hung out for a bit.  We found out yesterday that we got midweek cleaning here.  When we came to get our swimsuits, our condo was clean and bed made.

We decided to try to get to Kee to snorkel today.  It's been a few years since we snorkeled there.  Parking is a pain!  Plus in the winter there aren't as many good days---supposedly!  This trip there hasn't been too many good days yet, either!  At least we're not South where there's a surf advisory now from a storm in New Zealand.

Got a bit of a late start towards Kee.  Decided to have some left over spaghetti from the other night for lunch before leaving.  I wanted to stay until sunset once we got out that way.
I noticed this sign as we were driving through Hanalei.  Aren't all shaved ice organic?!
 I've always been curious about Lumahai Beach, but were always scared off by the Lumadie references in the winter.  So Ken sat in the car and let me walk down there today so I could see it and take some pictures.  The trail wasn't bad---a bit steep, but not that long. 


 Like I said---I was scared away in the winter. 
Today it was beautiful and relatively calm.

There were even a couple snorkelers there.  Wonder what they saw!?
to my surprise, a flock of frigates flew over me.  I expected to see them by the lighthouse, but they're here instead.  At least today.
 Another of them




I guess it can even be rough in the summer.
 heading back up to the street.
also noticed several signs have elephants on them.  For the presidential election?

From here it got a little challenging.  We thought if there was a place to park, we'd go back to Tunnels.  There wasn't so we went on to Kee.  It, too, was totally full---and many of the cars parked along the road had tickets on them.  It always amazes me when people park right by a "no parking" sign.  Anyway---we drove back to Tunnels, still no spots.  Back to Kee, where we got lucky and happened upon someone leaving.  Yea!  I get to see Kee again.
 Looking back towards the lifeguard station.
our first greeter---a chub
there were LOTS of saddle wrasses here. 
the far reef.
 looking back.  Love the backdrop of the towering mountains.
 more of the deeper water reef.
 a large ring tail surgeonfish
 There was a school of blue stripe snappers in the deep.
 black spot sergeant.  I see these guys all over the place, but never seen one with such dark stripes.
 There were a few of these Dascyllus here.
 a fair amount of these cleaner wrasses.
several schools of moorish idols.

 an arc eye hawkfish the color we normally see them.
I think this is a blue line surgeonfish.  This one was really colorful.
a blue stripe butterflyfish
 schools of smaller fish.  After checking out the deep water, we had gone over to the rocks to the left side of the bay.
 a less popular darker arc eye
 a spaghetti worm.  The critter burrows underground and sends these tentacles out to forage for food.  It's rather interesting watching it "eat".
Looks like a sergeant.
 Note the eel head. this guys looked big. 
 a juvenile female bird nose wrasse.
a file fish
 2 black side hawkfish.
2 blue goatfish and 2 blue trevelly
 a blue eyed damselfish.
 very small trumpet fish
 another view from the water.
 looking towards the main dish.
Nice to snorkel without much effort for a change!
 a Stout moray eel

a coris.
 white saddle goatfish.
 school of little yellow stripe goatfish.
 a juvenile something!
spiney urchin
another stout ell.
 a young rock mover
 About 5:30 Ken was anxious to get out of the water while the sun was still shinning.  I changed and walked down to the wet cave while Ken changed.  Love the houseplants covering everything.
 the wet cave
 looking up the cluff from the wet caves.
 There are now a couple North shuttles that run all the way to Kee beach.  Good idea!  Although it looks like it would take 1 1/2 hours to get from our condo in Princeville to here. It cost $4 for visitors (one way) and runs from 6 AM to 8 PM.
 Love this sign----isn't it sweet?! :)
I miss Florida every time I see these cattle egrets!
 Ken drove to the wet caves and picked me up and we went to Tunnels.
don't know what these are, but the looked cool.
spider lily.
getting funky.
 looking to the right.
 behind me

another view behind me.

 almost time.
about the extent of the color
 another fast, but pretty, sunset.
along the path back to our car I noticed these .  I've seen them at the Butterfly garden in South Florida---passion flower.  First one I've seen growing wild.
 another beautiful hybiscus
Sunset was around 7 so it was getting late by the time we got back.  I won't say where we went for dinner (again), but they have happy hour all night on Wed.  Ken got a couple appetizers.  , I got ahi fish.  It was very good.  The place was packed, so we sat at the bar and watched Bethany Hamilton on tv surfing in another tournament.  What an amazing girl!  Also visited with a couple fun locals.  Didn't get back to the Cliffs until after 9.  This is keeping me up late, so I'm off to bed now!!!

4 comments:

  1. I will really miss your blog if you go home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there are links on there to my original blog with about 90 more trips!

      Delete
    2. Your blog amazes me. You have done a great job with it!

      Delete