Sunday, September 11, 2016

Sept.10-16  Back to the East side, no snorkeling today:

Not that we didn't try!  John, from the meet and greet mentioned a beach near Hanalei Colony Resort that had really healthy coral.  So we went to find it.   The road we ended up on was another Polihale type with a ton of pot holes.  Finally we came upon a short trail near the YMCA  (Turns out we were at the wrong spot.  I should have listened to his directions better!  Apparently we were on the West side of the neighborhood and needed to be on the East side of the neighborhood to Kepuhi Beach.  Next trip take the first right past the concrete bridge (past HCR; Oneone which turns into Alealea). Take a right on Alamoo until it makes a hard left and there is the beach access.)
It did look like under the right conditions it might be good, but it was really rough today and I wasn't even sure we found the right place.  


So I headed back to the car where Ken was waiting.  On the way I saw this interesting little guy.  Not sure what kind of bird it is, but it had a white spot at the start of it's tail.  Couldn't get him to turn around.
 We drove by Anini and it looked like the last 2 times we were there--good current running to the left.  we were too tired to fight the current again so continued on.  Since I included some picture of our ride through the North side, I figured I should include a few of the East side.  Different, but still beautiful.

Suggested we rent bikes again and ride along the coast but Ken wasn't up to it.
It was pretty cloudy here, but we didn't have any rain.
We decided to go to Bubba Burgers for our once per trip meal there.  It's right in front of this Hostel.  Wonder if it's used much?
 I like the seating by the rail and watching all the activity around the area.  Wish I  could say I liked my burger, but it was terrible.  Not sure if my tastes have just changed or if they've gone downhill.
But there was a little boys' soccer game going on across the street.  Brought back a lot of fond memories of being a soccer Mom---and volleyball Mom, and hockey Mom, and basketball Mom, ... .
Then we drove by Lydgate, but the waves were really crashing over the wall.  Didn't want to fight that either.  hopefully tomorrow will be better.
We got to Kauai Beach Villas about 1pm.  Too early to check in, so we went and hung out at the pool for awhile.  We were about to leave about 3:30 and go find something to do when they said the room was ready.  I wouldn't recommend moving 3 times in 2 weeks, but I did get to spend a week on the North side, got to see the Shearwater units, and got to enjoy the ocean views on the East side at Kauai Beach Villas.  This time we were put in one of the 2 buildings that is parallel to the ocean and on the top floor (3rd).  Nice to see this unit has been renovated, too.  Hopefully all the Wyndham ones have been now.  This quite possible could be Wyndham KBVs best room (G12)!
the master bedroom---I guess orange is the new gray?!  i'm seeing more and more orange in decor now.  Not a bad thing---I like it.
This time we're in a 2 bedroom.  Love the extra living space and layout.
Love all the windows, too.
 this little cubby hole is a great place for the computer and still lets me see the tv.
 the open kitchen is nice, too.
 The 2nd bedroom with 2 double beds.  They became Ken's suitcase caddy.
 And best of all-----this view!!!!!!!  This is why I love Kauai Beach Villas and the East side!!!!
looking left from our lanai.
It may not be a swimming beach, but there's activity there.   Plus it really pretty.  And, yes, we do see surfers here quite frequently.  In the winter, we even see whales from here.
 By 4:30 we decided it was time to get to Costco and gas up the car.  It's about $.75 cheaper per gallon at Costco ($2.45 this year) then on the North side.  We debated on going South for sunset, but I figure we're going to be heading South at least twice in the next 3 days, so we decided to go to dinner at Bullshed in Kapaa, then catch sunset on the East side.
I was a little surprised at the prices at Bullshed. But then the prices everywhere this trip really seem to have gone up a lot (except maybe Kalypso's).   My steak kabobs meal was $24 plus $3 upcharge for the baked potatoe instead of rice.  I think Ken's chicken was about the same.  It was good and I do like their salad bar, but we seldom spend that much on a meal.
I guess part of the cost is for the ambience and views.  It's right on the ocean and if you get there early enough you get seated by a window.
 After dinner I suggested we go to Kealia Beach for sunset.  There was high surf there when we went by earlier so I thought it would be fun to watch the surfers until sunset. 
I don't know if it was as spectacular of a sunset every where around the island tonight, but it was pretty spectacular here!
 looking towards the South.
And it lasted a long time and kept changing.
 Looking towards the north.
Looking towards the West.
 looking East as I was leaving. 
From there it was time for another grocery store run.  Time for more breakfast stuff.  Not too exciting of a day, but that's not always a bad thing, either!

3 comments:

  1. When you are in TX, your day looks super exciting! We are some of the we enjoy the east side, too! The only time we've spent a full week on the north shore, was our very first trip. We keep saying we will do that again. Your sunset pictures are so good! Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure when I'm back in St. Louis I'll be wishing for another not-too-exciting day on Kauai!

      Delete
  2. I'm not tired of your blog! I'll be sad when it's over....

    ReplyDelete