Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sept. 3, 2016  moving to The Cliffs on the North side:

Today we moved to The Cliffs on the North side.  One of the main reasons for this trip, is to be here for the calm north side beaches this time of year.  I guess that's good in theory, but not when you have hurricanes barreling down on you!  Anyway, we could have stayed in one of the Wyndham resorts in Princeville, but we had a week to use with Trading Places, so when the Cliffs came available in a lofted unit (3rd floor---no little feet running around above us!), I took it.  Turns out I could have gotten any of the Wyndham resorts for 50% off and free upgrades on a couple of them, but the exchange was done.  RCI says The Cliffs is a Gold Crown resort, so that was encouraging.

So we were up relatively early---for us---and packing our stuff out to the car.  At least it's a lot less stressful travelling from one part of the island to another then to fly to another island!  We had to be out of Kauai Beach Villas by 10, but knew we might not get into The Cliffs until 4, so didn't plan on any snorkeling---luggage in the car and no beach towels pretty well insured that---not to mention Hurricane Lester.

On our way, we  stopped at Kealia beach to check out the high surf. 
 Not many surfers out there and the ones that were stayed near the lifeguard stand.


I was wondering what kind of fish he could possibly be catching in that surf!!!???




No snorkeling here!
 We also stopped at the lighthouse lookout.  I was surprised that the lighthouse was closed.  Apparently it closes for National holidays!  (Labor Day weekend).
 Watched the birds flying around.
 I believe this is a young red footed booby.
 an adult one.  I recognize them by the blue beaks, not the red feet.
 Mom and child?
 What everyone should have in their front yard!
 We also drove through Anini.  It was definitely snorkel-able.  There were several people enjoying it today---and a killer whale.
 more of Anini beach.
 Then we headed to The Cliffs to see if we could request an oceanview room.  I had called a couple weeks ago and they said they didn't take requests for that, but since I was on island I could come by early and see what was available.  They had us assigned to building 4.  I was a little disappointed since I'd read only buildings 6,7,8, and 9 had ocean view rooms, but I also understand how owners should have first dibs on them.  Our room wasn't ready yet, so we just did the pre registration stuff and headed on to find some breakfast/lunch (even though it was about 1pm by now).
This is in the lobby of The Cliffs.
 These guys had the best views of all!
 On our way to Hanalei, we checked out the overlook---yes, it was a cloudy, rainy day every since we left Kauai Beach Villas.  Stayed that way all day.
 The other lookout before heading down to the Hanalei bridge.
 Love all the painted buildings around Kauai.



 Our favorite place in Hanalei is Kalypso, so we went there. 
 Brought back fun memories of happy hour here with friends a couple years ago.  Unfortunately we were too early for happy hour, but I'm sure we'll make it another day.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had breakfast at 1.  In fact, I didn't know they served breakfast anytime!  I was going to get the basic breakfast---eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast (like Ken did), but figured I probably wouldn't have the chance to order panko crusted french toast stuffed with peaches and cream and topped with a lilikoi sauce back home---so that's what I ordered.  It was really good!!!

Now it was about 2, so we drove down to the pier, but it was packed, so we didn't even get out of the car.  I don't think I'll ever get use to seeing people riding their bikes and hauling their surf boards or boogie boards. 
 Are the above people "Groms"????
 Love stained glass windows, too.
 And old churches with stained glass windows.  I even painted a picture of this church once!
 We continued to the end of the road.  Kee had a sign up saying "no snorkeling".   So I walked through the wooded pathway a bit.
 looking back on the beach.  They were allowing people to play in the water.
 Back at Haena Beach looking over towards Tunnels.  This doesn't show it too well, but the surf was really pounding Tunnels, too.
 back to taking pictures of wild flowers.  This looks like a type of hybiscus.
 The church, again.
 We even drove down the road by the taro plants.
 Love how this picture turned out!
 We usually see a lot of Nenes here, so I assumed that's what these were until I actually looked at the picture.  Then I saw the blue on the wings and know they're a teal.  I believe in Hawaii they're green winged teals, but their wings sure look blue to me!
 I believe this is some sort of night heron.
 and more wild flowers.
 even tiny ones.
 This looks like a type of ginger?
 so many flowers growing everywhere.  I thought there were alot of them in winter----in summer there's even more.  (I'm told this is also a kind of ginger flower and is often used in leis as a "flat" style called "Micronesian style",  It's suppose to smell really good.)
 Don't know what kind of bird this is, but it looks like it's bald!
 at least until it lifts its head back up.
 and some red wild flowers.
 even forests of bamboo.  They really sound cool when it's windy.
 Now it was about 3:45, so we headed back to the Cliffs to see if the room was ready.  It was.  Turns out there are 2 rainbow eucalyptus right in front of the building we're in.
 Being in a lofted unit, we're on the top floor (3rd floor).  Ken's loving all the steps.
 I love the high ceilings.  But it was rather warm in there.  The tradewinds aren't blowing right now and there's not much breeze through here.  Nice that they have about 4 floor fans in here as well as 3 ceiling fans.
 Love the artwork---throughout the unit, but especially these.
 love the shower curtains, too
 and the large bottles of shampoos and such.  I left the rest of my shampoo and conditioner in Maui since we had carry on only.  I did bring my contact solution---figured if they found it, then I'd buy more.  It was only 4 oz anyway.  Ken put the sunscreen in his carry on and they didn't take it either.  Hope TSA is catching the guns and weapons people try carrying on!
 We were told we could have this unit with a distant view of the ocean, or a unit in building 3 that was totally renovated.  We chose the view but I'm really happy with the decor and furnishings in our room.  Wonder what the renoed ones look like?!  I also love the L shaped couch.  I love curling into the corner.
 The stairway to the loft.
The small but well equiped kitchen across from the loft stairway.
  We won't be using the loft, but I had to check it out.
 Looking down on the living room from the stairs.
 The master bedroom.  LOVE the Hawaiian print bedspread!
 Even have a washer and drier.
 Our view from our lanai---zoomed in, but not bad!  Hopefully we'll have some sunny days and see a beautiful blue ocean.
 we even had a little visitor
  We decided to move the desk from the bedroom to the odd empty space by the sliding doors to the lanai.  Looks like it belongs there!  The chair even has plenty of room.  Turned out to be a great place to set up the lap top computer.  So much better then looking at a wall in the bedroom.
 Another view of the room looking towards the front door.  There's a little entryway, too.  complete with a bench for sitting and putting shoes on.
 Ken set up the computer while I ran to Foodland.  I was surprised at the decent sales they had.  Ended up spending $49 and getting stuff for making dinner tonight---spaghetti with hamburger, french bread, salad and ice cream for dessert.  Also got a gallon of milk, cereal, lunch meat and more Orange-lilikoi drink.  We're set for breakfast and lunch for the week.  I seldom cook anymore, but spaghetti is something we both like.  But before cooking, I went to the huge lawn of The Cliffs to see if we would get a sunset.  Ended up talking to another visitor for quite awhile.
 Not much color, but I enjoyed visiting.
 If it hadn't been raining, I would have sat on one of the chairs they have down there.  Nice touch!  This was just a few of them.
Rain looked like it was getting closer, so I finally cut off the conversation and headed back to our unit.  Didn't want to drown my dslr, too!  Back at the unit, we had to have maintenance come out -- twice.  First time to lower the blinds in the kitchen.  We weren't pulling hard enough!  If we pulled that hard at home they would have come down!  Later the tv picture went out.  Maintenance ended up replacing the tv.    But other than that and there being no ac, I think we'll be happy here.

5 comments:

  1. Nice! As someone who is here at the same time as you it is cool to see what you are seeing in the north on the same day we are in Poipu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about Kauai----if you don't like the weather where you're at, you can usually go elsewhere to find something else. We wouldn't have traveled North yesterday if we weren't moving up here for the week. Looks pretty today, though.

      Delete
  2. I hope you enjoy that unit! Looks amazing to me. After all, you are on Kauai!!!

    ReplyDelete