Saturday, August 27, 2016

Aug. 26, 2016  snorkel Po'olenalena and back to Keawakapu:

I was up fairly early this morning.  I forgot to mute my phone and it rang about 4:30.  Ken's went off about 6:30.  So I decided it was time to get up.  Dang all these junk phone calls especially when you're not on the mainland!

Anyway, I was anxious to try out the new camera.  So by about 8:30 I headed down the road to Kameole 1 and took a few pictures with my Canon 60D while Ken finished getting ready and joined me with the car a short while later.



 Looked like it was going to be another beautiful day!
 I also heard a South swell is coming so was hoping to get another snorkel on the South side before it hits.  We headed back to Po'olenalena.  The surf was up somewhat, but still doable.
There's the Po'olenalena beach I remembered!
love the flowering ground cover.
 Heading in----

 Where the reef starts.
So my take on the new underwater camera-----the above water photos seem pretty good (all the above photos of Po'olenalena).  But I'm not sold on the quality of the underwater photos yet.  It was pretty rough and there was a lot of sand in the water most places, so I can't dislike it too much yet.  One thing I did find extremely better then the Nikon is being able to see what you're trying to take a picture of.  The Fuji starts out rather dark, but when you press the trigger part way, it brightens the screen.  I was very happy about that.  I'm thinking that must be what the others were doing, but the Nikon AW120 that I just drowned had a dark viewing screen all the time.  Now I wonder if it had something wrong with it?
 I did see 3 turtles here.  They hung out in the surf zone. 
 a stareye parrotfish
Lined Butterflyfish in some pretty deep sandy water.
a blue trevelly
 A starfish
 an ambon toby
 We spent about an hour or so there, then headed back to Keawakapu where we had snorkeled the 2nd day we were here.
It doesn't really look rough but it was getting pretty choppy out by the reef.
 Ornate butterflyfish

 moorish idol
 stocky hawkfish
 blackside hawkfish
 With it being so choppy,  we quit snorkeling and just bobbed in the water awhile.
As we were heading out, I saw these colorful butterflies.  Wonder if they migrate from here?
We left about 1pm to change and go eat.  Thought we'd get back to Peggy Sue's for lunch instead of just a milkshake.  But the parking lot was going to close at 2pm for the 4th Friday of the Month party in that parking lot.  So we went on.  Remembered having coupons for BlueMoon Cafe when we were here before but didn't go.  Saw the signs up about $6.99 lunches and thought we'd check it out.  Didn't stay there, either.  Didn't see anything for $6.99 and it seemed pretty expensive.  Ended up going to Da Kitchen which has never disappointed us.  Noticed they changed their interior.  I missed the lit up wood art.  Still had quite a crowd there.  Had half my kalua pork left over, but it was very good.

 After lunch, I walked back to the condo while Ken drove back. 
I was disappointed when we checked in.  I booked 13 months out and in the past when I did that got really good locations.  This time we're in the building the farthest away from the ocean and have no ocean view.  At least I'm getting more "steps" in when I walk from there.  We're also so far and up hill from the pool that we've only been there once.
 After hanging around the condo for a couple hours, we headed to Wailea Beach for sunset.  We got there about 5:30 and walked the ocean walk by there.  Saw some interesting things.  Like these?
 and these?
Looking back at Wailea Beach.
 This guy even joined us for awhile.
 The Luau was going on at the Grand Wailea.  Apparently the seating is by the little church on their property.
 I walked over to one of the bridges over their extensive pool complex to take this picture.  Would love to have that pool to play around in!
 Just part of the pool at the Grand Wailea.
 After walking past the Grand Wailea, we walked the other direction.  Not many palm trees to use as foreground along the path when going the other direction!  This was one of about 2.
 So i used this tree.
 and no foreground.  Another pretty, but fast sunset.
 That's it for today.  time to chill out and rest up a bit! 

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are just amazing! Hope you are having the BEST time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jettybetty--- I'm having a fantastic time. actually getting worn out a bit. Thanks for all you help on the forum!

      Delete