Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Aug. 22, 2016---Clouds, Clouds, go away!!!

We were warned that it was likely to rain today and tomorrow and the trade winds would leave us.  The forecasters here were actually right!  But to be honest, it was probably good to take a day off from snorkeling.  Both of us did get a bit burned yesterday!  Guess I need to get long pants with SPF, too.  So we had a leisurely morning around the condo.  Even slept in until 8:30.

Then I suggested we go to Ho'okipa beach and look for the turtles.  I had read there were hundreds of them all over the beach there.  Then we'd hit Costco for a few food items and gas.  Gas there was $2.45 and $3.32 elsewhere.

This was our view as we were getting onto Hwy 31.
 Our ride took us into quirky little Paia town. 


 Love the signs there.
 and the painted walls.
 not to mention the old town buildings.
 more buildings.
 and restaurants.
 Ho'okipa Beach wasn't too much farther.  As we pulled into the park, I got a kick out of these cows and cattle egrets. 
 Can't say I often see cows laying around.  Talk about happy cows!
 Not much was going on by the beach so I entertained myself with the folliage around the area.

 Even the fisherman wasn't having any luck.
 There were a few surfers there, but they weren't getting much in the way of waves. 
 Still didn't see any turtles---looked high and low and left and right.  All I could find were a couple love birds.
 Heading back through Paia.  Love the surf board fence.
 Cool looking studio.

 lovely little town.
 Just past Paia on our way back we saw another park and decided to see what it looked like.  I think it's called Baldwin Beach Park. 
 I was surprised when I saw the driftwood filled beach.  Something totally different to photograph!
It even had this interesting flower growing by the parking lot.
 Costco was the usual madhouse!  I left Ken in the line of cars waiting to get gas and walked to the store.  Fought my way through the place.  Then we took off as soon as we could.  Back at the condo, we decided it was time to get in some water---so we hit the pool.  Hopefully we'll be back to the ocean tomorrow.
We decided on a happy hour dinner at Cow, Pig, Bun in Kihei.  It's in an odd area, but has a great view. 
I remembered having a burger there last time we were on Maui and I thought it was the best burger ever. I guess I built it up in my mind.  It was still good, but not as good as I remembered. 
 Ken got a pattymelt and had no complaints---it even came with home made fried pork rinds.  Haven't seen those since I was a kid.  They do offer a pretty good Happy Hour special---20% off everything from 3-6.

It cleared up somewhat for sunset, so I walked over to Kama'ole Beach Park right across from our condo complex and walked the length of the park.  Turned out to be another pretty nice sunset. 
Felt more like we were residing here today then being tourist----not such a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment