Friday, August 26, 2016

Aug. 25, 2016  Snorkel Ahihi and search for a new camera!

Well, I guess I complained about the Nikon underwater camera too much!  Today it decided it has had enough.  The whole day was a little frustrating.

We thought we'd try Po'olenalena today (which I again had wrong and was calling it Polo beach).  When we walked up to Polo beach, I was surprised it didn't look familiar.   The surf was already pretty rough.  So we decided to leave.
pretty flowers by the parking lot.


we did find Po'olenalena,too, and decided it was also too rough.  After all, it was already about 11:30.  Unfortunately we're on Hawaii time now and sleeping in until 9:30!  By the time we piddled around and got all ready to leave, it was already late.
We continued south planning to check out La Parouse Bay.  I thought it was closed to snorkeling, but remember someone saying something about snorkeling there.  On our way there, I noticed Ahihi looked good.
 We continued on to LaParouse.  I got a kick out of the fence on the lava field.  Do people really try to hike on this!!!????
The mostly 1 lane road past Ahihi bay.
Looking south from LaParouse bay.  I noticed there is now a lava rock wall between the parking lot and the bay.  Noone was snorkeling.   Thought of walking the trail a bit, but it was cloudy enough that the water was gray.
 Did see these little guys.  Remind me of quail.
 Back on the lava road we saw this sign.  According to it, I would assume La Perouse Bay is open!
 Not the view you think of when someone says Hawaii.
 Reminds me of the Big Island.
 and suddenly there are trees again.
 and goats!!!

Ken doesn't ever want to snorkel Ahihi again, I'm not sure why.  So I asked if he'd sit and make phone calls while I snorkeled Ahihi a bit.  He agreed to that.  I was excited to get to snorkel Ahihi Bay again!  The fish were inches from shore.  And so huge!
 and so many!
 Even some schools, like these Convict Tangs.
 Unfortunately the coral wasn't is very good shape, but the fish didn't seem to care.
 a barred filefish
About this time my camera started acting weird.  It wouldn't take a picture and it wouldn't shut off.  Eventually it shut off.  So I turned it back on and it worked again.  
 I believe this is a whitespine surgeonfish---a very large one.
 whitebar surgeonfish
 whitemouth moray eel.
 Then I saw an octopus and the camera said---ha, ha-you're not getting that picture.  And it died.
I snorkeled around some more.  After about an hour I took pity on hubby and decided to get out.  He immediately knew what was on the agenda for the rest of the afternoon----searching for a new underwater camera.
So we drove back to the condo so I could change.  Love that the views all around Maui are so diverse.
We checked the internet and looked like I should be able to get an Olympus at Costco, Target, or K-mart.  But that ended up being only if I ordered it.  Dang!!!  We went to those 3 stores and Walmart.  The only underwater cameras in the department stores were off name brands.  Found out the only camera store on Maui is in Lahaina.  I figured that means they probably jack up the prices.  Ended up going back to Costco and getting the only underwater camera they had---a FujiFilm Fine Pix FP90 for $179.   At least there is a 90 day satisfaction warranty, so if I don't like it, I can still get an Olympus.
By now it was after 5, so I ordered a pizza from RoundTable (yes, we really like their pizza and can't get it in St. Louis or Buford).  It was ready when we got there.  We were able to eat there in peace and quiet this time, then head off to try and catch another sunset.  Hindesight--we should have taken the pizza and had a picnic at the beach!
Ended up at Waipuilani Park.  That's a great park for watching a sunset!  Lots of grass and palm trees. 
 Again it wasn't a very colorful or long lasting sunset, but still pretty.

 Should have lightened the letters some more.  It says Maui Sunset.  I believe that's the condos there.
I guess it wasn't too bad of a sunset afterall.
 It was time to go to Safeway and try and get some more Lite Hawaiian Sun drinks.  That's another thing the stores in Kuhului  don't have.  So we headed to Safeway.  On our way from RoundTable, I noticed a bunch of egrets in a tree (reminded me of a tree near where we lived in S. Florida last year---every night the egrets covered the tree and turned it white).  So we stopped so I could take a picture.  They got spooked and took off so I got a different picture of them then I anticipated.
Even a frustrating day in Maui is a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment