Monday, August 29, 2016

Aug. 28, 2016  Back to Kahului and then to the Maui Tropical Plantation and Kealia refuge:

I took pity on Ken today and let him have the day off from snorkeling.   But we still left the condo by 9:30.  We headed back into Kahului to return the Nikon underwater camera I bought yesterday.  After studying it last night, there were a few things I didn't like.  The main one being that the lock to make it water tight was a sliding door.  I can't see that sealing very well.  I was also hoping it would use the same battery as my other Coolpix, but of course it doesn't!  But we did find out that there is a camera shop in Lahaina that specializes in underwater cameras---they just happened to be closed on the weekends.  So tomorrow I hope to make it there and discuss things with them.

We had planned to also go to Kealia Pond National Wildlife Refuge visitors' center, but it was closed.  This is the 2nd time we tried to go.  Apparently they aren't open on weekends, either.  Since they were closed, we drove around Wailuku and then went to the Maui Tropical Plantation.
On our way to the East side we passed this house on Kihei Rd.  We found the patio decor interesting!
We noticed a cruise ship was in port.  we always thought that would be a fun cruise.  Maybe next time!


Views on our way to the Maui Tropical Plantation.
Love the views here, too!
 I think this is the area I'd want to live  "when" we move here.  :)
We went to the Maui Tropical Plantation last time we were in town, too, (Feb. 2015).  I was surprised to see that the cost of the trolley tour went up from $15 to $20@.  So we just walked  around.  
Love the gift store there.  Found these boards with metal beach handles really cool.
 also loved this shelving unit.  I find the coffee grinders along the top of the wall interesting, too.
 The plantation is as beautiful as I remembered.
 There are lots of picturesque seating areas throughout the plantation.
 One of my favorite flowers---bird of paradise.
 not sure, but I believe these are coffee beans.  There are several little shops throughout the plantation.  One of them is a coffee house.  There's also a fragrant soaps and lotions shop next to the reception hall.  On Friday and Sat. nights they even have a "farm to table" dinner.  I bet that would be fun!  and expensive.
 Throughout the grounds are old sugar cane machinery used as decor.
 There are also a ton of flowers.
 I guess I should have gone to see whom the statue is suppose to be of, but I didn't think about it at the time.
 There are even zip lines here.
and a few different restaurants.

 hard to tell from this picture, but the trim around this doorway is made of slices of wood (Koa?).
 Lots of seating for the restaurants, but their weren't many people here.  It is rather spendy, but certainly has great ambiance.
looking back from the other side.
 more sugar cane equipment decor.
more flowers.  ( Pua Kenikeni )
 I think I know this one!  A double hibiscus.
 This tree was covered with these beautiful blooms. ( a rainbow shower tree )
 great place for a wedding and reception!

 More flowers that I've never seen before.
These either.
 in the foreground of this photo is a field of pineapple plants.  I didn't see any pineapples, though.
Looking back towards the restaurants and gift shop
white hibiscus
 another double
 love these "walking" trees.
ducks
 an elevated dining area right on the pond.
more decor
 familiar looking guy from Kealia wildlife refuge---some sort of heron.

not only do I like taking pictures of colorful fish, but I also like taking pictures of colorful flowers!
 a working windmill, I presume?
More purdy flowers.
 what can I say!!!!
 We don't have many trees in the Midwest that bloom!
even the low foliage is interesting.
There's my tree that's covered with blooms.  
antirrhinums
 even a colorful lizard
I kept seeing birds flitting about.  Stood and watched for awhile but was only able to get this guy.
I believe he's some sort of vireo.
After a couple hours there, we continued on to Kealia wildlife refuge by the beach.  I got a kick out of this sign about that being a place for native plants.  Actually it's sad that there were no plants!
 View towards the ocean from the boardwalk.
 a little guy wondering where all the water went!
The boardwalk.
It was much drier then when we were there about a week ago.  Now there were dead fish all over where the water had dried up.
 looking north

 looking east.
 a stilt
in one area the ocean breeches over when the tide is higher.
 another view of the boardwalk.
 This looked like a different guy.  It was about this time that is started drizzling, so I covered my dslr camera and hoofed it back to the car.
We spent the rest of the afternoon at the resort.  Even went to the pool for a little while.  We were going to go to the pool cafe at Maui Coast resort next door to our Worldmark resort, but couldn't get a covered table.  we discovered this place in 2015 from our lanai.  I would sit out there and listen to the live music many evenings.  Don't hear it this year since our room is half way up the mountain this year!  But since it was still very cloudy, we decided to go to a restaurant where we could eat indoors.  time to give Peggy Sue's another try.  Cute little diner.
interesting decor.
and the food is reasonably priced and very good!  My grilled mahi was excellent.  As was the papaya salad dressing, salad, and potato-mac salad.  Ken raved about his spicy chicken sandwich---even making a point of telling the cook what a great job he did.  His hoagie chicken sandwich and fries was about $13 and my fish dinner was $14.    I asked what the pie was that's on the menu and the waitress mentioned it's usually lilikoi or something else,but they were out.  She also said the same person owns the coffee shop next door and there's homemade desserts in there. 
 So while Ken was paying, I went over to check it out.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do like desserts!  It's a really cute place.
Love the sign---and how appropriate for a coffee shop.
 homemade lilikoi cheesecake!!! I had to get it.  Haven't eaten it yet, but I'm sure it's great.
Not much of a sunset again with the heavy clouds, but had to check it out anyway.


drove back by the coffee shop on our way to the egrets nighttime resting tree.  
Miss our bird filled tree in Florida!
 No snorkeling today, but it was still a great day.  A little drizzly, but not bad.  Got my 10,000 steps in again.  Must be time to eat lilikoi cheesecake now!


No comments:

Post a Comment