Thursday, August 25, 2016

Aug. 24, 2016---snorkeling Kahekili---finally!

So people who know from the Maui Tripadvisor forum have been telling me we need to go to Kahekili beach to snorkel.  Don't know why I thought that was the beach by Honolua, but I looked it up and found out where it really is.  Since housekeeping was coming to clean our room today, we decided to spend the day on the West side again and Kahekili would be our first destination.  Or should I say the first destination was the ride to the West side?!
 we even get to go through a tunnel.

first glimps of the West side waters.
From the moment I first saw the beach, I was wowwed and wondered why we hadn't been here sooner!?
 not only was the snorkeling suppose to be great, but the beach is gorgeous.
 I was so excited to get in there that my Fitbit went with me---for a coule minutes.  Fortunately it's still working.  Too bad I can't get one for snorkeling!

There certainly are lots of fish here!
 The water was really clear, too.  Love the designs on the black triggerfish when the water is so clear!
 goldring surgeonfish
 brownside hawkfish
ringtail wrasse---there were a bunch of them here!  
 At one point, an outrigger canoe came by.
a moray eel
 another new species!
another moray eel.
 I actually saw 2 of these here---Crown of Thorns.
3rd of the 4 eels I saw.
 This was the first time I've seen more then 1 emperor fish at a time!  There was a school of about 30 of them here.
 another ring tailed wrasse---male this time
 more schools of fish
love how they school together
 these guys were quite large---unicorn fish
 These guys were my favorite!  Such a variety of colors and so rare everywhere else!  Another ring tailed wrasse.
one more eel
 Don't recall seeing any of these guys anywhere else on Maui, either!  See lots of them on Kauai---rock mover wrasse.
cigar wrasse---see a lot more of these around Kauai, too.
Hybrid Sergeant
Looking back towards the beach
 blue eye damselfish
 male bullethead parrotfish
stocky hawkfish
another school or variety 
 a blue goatfish
 Saddleback butterflyfish---first one of them that I've seen on Maui
juvenile yellowtail coris

Another rare fish for me here in Hawaii---I've seen them a few times in the Caribbean.  Their name escapes me.
After 4 hours of snorkeling, the surf was picking up, so we decided we had enough fun for the day.  I  like that they have a nice restroom with a changing rooms in it.  There's also a lot of picnic tables and shade.
and an informative sign to read 
as i was waiting for Ken to change, these little love birds perched on a tree branch near me.  Haven't seen any birds like them before!  Someone on tripadvisor was nice enough to identify them for me---Java Sparrows.
 By now it was about 3, so we headed to Lahaina for lunch/dinner.  Love all the sailboats.
 Just a few more pictures of the cute little town of Lahaina. 
Will have to research this queen theatre building one of these days.
We decided we wanted fish and knew Bubba Gumps had good fish, so that's where we went.
 We had a coupon for a free appetizer of the day, too.
 Ken enjoyed his seafood assortment
 and I enjoyed fish and chips.
 Cute place---not too busy yet.
nice view from our seats.
 Got back to our condo about 5:45.  Ken stayed there while I went in search of another sunset.  Ended up at Kameole 2.
 Not much color in the sky and it didn't linger long, but it was still pretty.
 one more.
Hard to believe we've been here a week already!  Time just keeps speeding by!

No comments:

Post a Comment