Thursday, June 23, 2016

5-22-16 Johnson Shut Ins :

When I saw how close we were to Johnson Shut-Ins on our way to the wedding, I was excited about getting a chance to see them again.  It had been a long time since we were there.  There was even a huge dam breech since we were there, so I wasn't sure if it would be like I remembered.  Ameren did a really nice job of cleaning up the area from the breech and even built lots of walking trails and a really nice museum about the area.  So we headed there as soon as we left the resort we stayed in for the wedding.
I enjoyed all the wild flowers along along our 1/4 mile or so walk to the Shut-ins from the parking lot,
 One of our first views of the river.  I don't remember walking so far into the area years ago---maybe that's just because I was younger and had more energy then.


I don't remember seeing the river so flat and calm.  I was beginning to wonder if the dam breech had washed all the rocks away.
 The new walkway was really nice!
 I was sort of wishing I was wearing my swim suit and water shoes now.
 Finally came to some rocks.
 Now this is more like I remembered.  Glad to see it's still there.
 loved seeing all the wild flowers along the trail, too.
 The trail went for a couple miles.
 Looking down at one of the pools
 Ken taking in the views.
 Still as beautiful as I remembered


 Actually looked like it might be more dangerous then before.
 more interesting wild flowers.

 close up of the flowers below.
 on our way back out.
 Even saw this bird near the museum.  I hadn't seen one like it before.  I believe it's a yellow billed cuckoo.
 the front of the museum area.
 the museum
 some of the rocks that were deposited along the ground from the dam breech.
 nice new sign, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment