Thursday, August 3, 2017

8-3-17 heading to Minnehaha waterfall!

Been awhile since we've been to the North Georgia mountains, so I suggested we go check out another waterfall.  Minnehaha seemed to be an easy walk from the parking area and the drive to it looked pretty direct, so we headed up I-985 to North Georgia.
 The clouds today were incredible!
 It was a nice ride.


That's where we're going!
Close to Toccoa, our car's navigation system decided to route us onto a "less congested" route.  And the new route certainly was less congested!  The last 10 miles or so were spent mostly on dirt roads and 1 lane roads---where barns even have basketball hoops on them.
 But we eventually found the trail to the falls.  Ken stayed and guarded the car while I walked the .5 mile, or so, to the waterfall.
 most of the way was along the river.  Didn't always have a good view of the river, like I did here, but there was always the comforting sound of a running water to listen to.
 Back to the trail
 almost there
 I'll have to admit---I was much more impressed with the falls then I thought I'd be from what I saw on the internet!  There's even a really nice rock bench to sit on to enjoy the falls. 
 While sitting there, I chatted with another couple.  They told me about a couple more waterfalls not too far away, Panther Falls and Toccoa Falls---and these waterfalls were along a better route to get back to the highway!
 After visiting with them for 30 minutes or so, I decided it was time to head back to the car.   Checked out the sights along the way---like this yellow/orange mushroom.
 The exit/entrance to the walk to Minnehaha Falls.  No formal sign---just a hand painted  Minnehaha Falls written on the rail of the steps.  I guess they don't expect many people to find it.  There's only about 5 or 6 parking spots here.
 In the car and heading to the next falls as we ride along Lake Rabun. 
 Now this "tiny house" might not be too bad!

 someone's artistic creation.
It was another hot humid day---but it is Georgia in August!  I thought it might be a little cooler in the mountains.  Not really---but it was still pretty nice, especially sitting by the waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment