Monday, August 21, 2017

8-21-17  total eclipse of the sun!!!!!!


The hype for this event had been going on for quite awhile!  It's the first total solar eclipse to cover coast to coast through the United States in 99 years.   I do remember another eclipse several years ago, but I didn't get the special glasses and we weren't in the totality area, so I didn't pay too much attention to it.  I do remember taking a few pictures of the moon shapes on the ground as they came through the leaves on the tree in our front yard, but that's the extent of my eclipse experience----until now!  This time it was a whole lot more exciting.  At first I was excited because Angie and I got glasses and we were going to a winery for the viewing.  The fact that we would see a total eclipse was just an added bonus---so I thought!

Where we live (about 40 miles north east of Atlanta), it was only about 98% totality.  So Angie suggested we drive up to Cleveland, Ga. about 50 miles away where it would be 100%.  I was more the happy to do it.  Although I was a bit apprehensive about how traffic would be.  I'd seen news stories about traffic jams of people camping out on highways weeks in advance to see it, so I knew traffic would be a mess.  The highway department in Georgia was ready, too.
There was all kinds of traffic!  Even venomous snakes were making their way north!


Not sure why this guy was heading north?  Hard to tell from this photo, but the license plate is from the state of Alaska and has NASA on it!  Wonder where they were going?
 Yep, there was heavy traffic.
 A bit of the traffic on I-985 about 10am.  At least it was moving---slowly but surely. 
 We didn't have to be on the highway too long, though.  We took state roads once we hit Gainesville.
 Out in the country was much more scenic.
 An interesting looking ice cream place that we planned to stop at on the way back.
 The state road we were on.  I was glad to see traffic was moving well on it.
 We made it to Cenita winery about 11:30.----Then we noticed the signs for checking in.  Ooops!!!!  Angie had emailed them and asked a question on Facebook and hadn't gotten a response; so after pleading our case for a bit, the guy let us add our names to the list and we got to stay.   They were expecting 350 people, but it was looking pretty empty at 11:30.
 We promptly bought a bottle of wine and claimed a table to enjoy the beautiful day from!
 Turned out the building on the other side of the vineyard is where almost everyone was going.
 A pan of our view. 
 The admittance fee of $8 @ also included  a lunch of either grilled chicken, chicken nuggets, hot dog or hamburger; plus a salad, chips and a Kit Kat bar.   So while Angie held our table, I walked through the vineyard to the pavilion and got our lunches.  This is looking back towards where we set up.  Our table was under a tree.
 The vineyard was full of grapes.

 There was a bit of a maze getting to the other side, but I was determined to make it.  Even though it was in the 90s and quite humid and I was sweating up a storm.

 I chose one of the outer lanes to walk through.
 I was a bit surprised when I ended up past the pavilion and had to double back.
 Looking back on where I came from.
 Note the white top area behind the tree we sat at.
 Zoomed in 300mm to Angie waiting for me to return.
 Really a great winery!  So picturesque and such nice people working here!
 Eventually I found someone to give our order to and waited in the pavilion for our food.
 They bagged it for us and I made my way back.
 checking out more grapes along the way
 Not sure, but I figure the owner of the winery may live here---or the care taker.
 Our lunch.  It was actually VERY good!!!!
 Looking to the right of the pavilion.
 Our chairs set out in the open for when it was time to view the eclipse.
 Even had time for a 2nd bottle of wine before the total eclipse.
 300mm zoom of the crowd at the pavilion.
 the uncrowded area here by the tasting room.
 the tasting room
 The eclipse was in full swing now, but I didn't get the special filter for my camera lens to be able to take picture while the moon was slowly covering the sun.
 Getting closer to totality.  Now it was about 2:25.
 The sky was starting to get gray and the clouds were getting a hint of pink
Just a few more minutes until totality!  Now it's 2:32
looking east

2:32
 
 just about totality
 so beautiful!!!!
 Now I could look at the sun without glasses and take pictures without a filter.  I was blown away!!!!!  So much more then I ever expected!!!!  I can't express the surprise and excitement I felt!  And the dismay that I didn't bring my 600mm lens!
I totally missed the rest of the world during totality!   But when the sun started glaring again, I remembered to look around---this was right after totality.

then the beautiful lighting started coming back.
 It was truly amazing.
 It even cooled off greatly during the eclipse.

 The leaf diffused eclipse shadows on the ground nearby---this is what I remembered from the other time I saw the eclipse.
 Almost back to full light again.
 2:54
 Angie wanted to walk around in the vineyards, too, so we took a walk in them.
 more of the grapes.
 Still a big crowd at the pavilion.
 cheers Cenita!  And Thanks for the memories!
 The area we enjoyed---nice and peaceful---I even enjoyed the music someone was playing near us---Here Comes the Sun; New Moon Rising; and a bunch of other appropriate songs.
 I don't think we could have found a more perfect place to experience this total eclipse of the sun!   Now I'm really excited for the next one---in 7 more years!


No comments:

Post a Comment