Friday, August 25, 2017

8-25-17 scenic ride back to Atlanta:

Our short get-away was over.  Time to drive back to Atlanta.  I had hoped to find a waterfall or something interesting to break up the drive, but hadn't succeeded by the time we headed out.  Just by chance, we stopped at a visitors' center on I-26.  One of the workers there told me we were about a mile away from a scenic route that cut over fromI-26 to I-85.  It would add about 30 minutes to the trip (not including any stops we make), and was about 100 miles long.  And---it went by a waterfall right by the side of the road.  Waterfall---scenic route---we were taking that!!!!
Look at all those waterfalls!!!
 It took us through the foothills
 beautiful countryside


mostly open highway.  Nice to get away from the interstate traffic for awhile.
 someone's private covered bridge entrance to their property
 Don't know what this is, just thought it was a cute little building.
 I'll have to admit, I was a bit disappointed when we came to the waterfall!---Wildcat falls.
 This may have been the show stopper
 same guy with his wings up
 I was about to get back in the car when Ken asked if I saw the upper falls.  What?  There's another falls?  So I walked down the road where he motioned to and saw it.  OK---I was a little more impressed now.
 especially since another butterfly posed for me.
 Since the other falls was so close, I decided to go up the stairs to check it out.
 nothing huge, but it's still a waterfall
 spent about 15-20 minutes checking it out.
 I was surprised to see some little fish in the little pools at the bottom of these falls.
 one last angle.
 Continuing on down the scenic road, I remembered the gal at the visitors' center also pointing out a picture from an overlook at Caesar's Head State Park which was also just off highway 11 (the scenic highway).  So when we came to it, we detoured up to the park (about 7 miles up the road).  At the top, I walked the short trail to the overlook.

 Got there about the same time as a school group.  Must be great going to school in a place like this---field trips to Chimney Rock State Park, Caesar's Head State Park, and I'm sure they go to a lot of other state parks, too.  There were several just along hwy 11, but we only made it to the 1 falls and this park. 
 Looking back at the overlook from another part of the trail.
 Couldn't tell if we were in a cloud, or this is just the phenomenon where the trees let off the gases from which the Blue Ridge Mountains  get their name.  It was pretty, but bet it's even prettier if it's clear.
 There was another trail to a lower lookout, so I went to check it out, too.  Not much of a distant view due to all the trees along the path, but did have an interesting view of the rock face below the upper lookout.
 heading back up.
 There's a 400+' waterfall trailhead near the overlook, but it was listed as 2 miles @ way and strenuous.  No time to do that, so we hit the road and headed back down to Hwy 11.  On the way back down to the scenic highway, we saw a pull off with a few cars at it.  Didn't know what was there, but figured if others were there, it might be worth seeing.  If not, I figured the pretty purple flowers by the pull off were reason enough to stop.
 I was rather shocked when I walked over the little bridge and came upon this.
 I know I should be outraged at the inconsiderate people who defaced the rock, but I was too intrigued by the colorful contributions!  Sort of reminds me of how people pile rocks all over the place on the Big Island.  Interesting in a photographers-sort-of-way!
 Some people enjoying the views.
 Wonder what the story is behind this graffiti with the flag and initials?  I presume it has to do with some of our military members.
 One last view as I head back to the car.
 I didn't even notice the graffiti on the bridge as I was walking over it the first time.
 Continuing on the scenic highway we passed a few man made places of interested noted on the brochure---like Pumpkintown Mountain.  Apparently there's an opry, dinner theater, shops and cottages around here.
 A reminder of where we were as told by our car's Navigation system.
 One could easily spend a few days checking out all the state parks and waterfalls along scenic highway 11!

 Heading over Lake Keowee
 The last few miles of the scenic highway before ending at I-85.
Of course, shortly after we got on I-85, traffic stopped!  Gotta love interstate driving!  At least it was rather short lived---about a 30 minute slowdown.  Never did see what caused it.   Made it home about 6 hours after we left Lake Lure.  I enjoyed it, though. Saw a lot of things I never knew existed!

No comments:

Post a Comment