Monday, July 11, 2016

7-5-16  Old Mill Park in Roswell to meet up with a friend from St. Louis:

We keep having friends from St. Louis saying they're coming through the area and would like to see us, then they get sick, or can't make it, or.... it pours down rain!  Today it rained!  First rain we've had in quite some time here!  Anyway---my friend from St. Louis, who I've been getting together with when we're in St. Louis and going on photo shoots with, was here visiting her daughter in the northwest Atlanta area.  So we decided to meet somewhere in the middle and play photographers while we visited.  Her daughter suggested Old Mill Park in Roswell.  I never would have known about it, so was excited to check it out.  So about 11 am I took off towards the park.  It wasn't until I got there (45 minutes later) that I noticed her message saying it was pouring where they were and it didn't look like it was going to quit so they weren't coming.  It actually didn't start raining where I was until I got to the park.  I figured since I was there and I had my water proof camera, I might as well get wet and check out the park.  So I did!

Old Mill Park is a parcel of land about 300 acres in area that is owned by the City of Roswell and the National Park Service.   It's one of a cluster of mills located in Fulton County near Vickery Creek in Roswell.   The mills were best known for producing finished textiles from raw materials grown on nearby plantations, and the group was "the largest cotton mill in north Georgia" at its height.
 For over 140 years, the creek was the site of numerous mills in the Roswell area: 3 being cotton mills on this site.


The covered bridge was built by the City of Roswell in 2004 to connect Old Mill Park with the trail on the other side of Big Creek which is part of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area. 
 Now named Big Creek, this waterway was historically known as Vickery Creek.  The creek was named for Charlotte Vickery, a Cherokee woman, who owned a farm along the creek's headwaters in Forsyth County during the 1830s.
 Big Creek looking the other way from the bridge.
 The bridge and waterfall have become a favorite spot for taking professional portraits.  Looks like a young lady was getting senior portraits taken on this rainy day.
The first mill was founded by Roswell King, a wealthy Connecticut businessman.  In 1836 he constructed the original mill.  The Roswell Mills are best known for  making "Roswell Gray" fabric for Confederate military uniforms during the Civil War.  General Gerrard seized the mill in 1864 and arrested the workers (400 women and children) for treason and sent them North where they were left to fend for themselves in Indiana towns that were already overcrowded with refugees.  Many of them died from starvation or exposure.
Today it's a beautiful place to wander around.
 even on a rainy day.
 The Roswell Manufacturing Company underwent several important changes around the early 20th century.  In 1897, the mills began using steam power, which improved productivity, but kept the mill dependent on the creek.  Easley Cotton Mills bought the mill in 1920.  In 1926 the mill was struck by lightning and caught on fire.  In 1947 it was bought by Southern Mills.  In 1975 it closed.
Heading around the mill on my way to the dam.

 I believe these are the ruins of the water intake from the flume.
 Big Creek below the dam.
beginning to see the dam.
 The spillway.
 the dam.  Wonder if there would have been water flowing over it if it wasn't raining?!
 another view of the spillway.  There is a path on the other side of the bridge that takes you to the other side of the dam, but with all the rain and elevation, I didn't attempt that trail.
 Looking back from where I came.  There was lots and lots of trash around.  I imagine the place was really busy the day before with it being the 4th of July.  With the rain today, I had it almost all to myself.
 I tried to go to the pool on top, but there were "No Trespassing" signs, so I obeyed. 
 Heading back down the river.
 sure would have liked to have had my dslr so I could have taken some slow shutter photos.
 They've even made this part of the trail handicapped accessible.

 Looking down at the mill from the handicapped trail.
 Another view.
 It was a very interesting and informative excursion.  Thanks for suggesting it, Karen!  Too bad you didn't get to go!!!
Couldn't resist taking a picture of all the beautiful flowers on the trees as I was leaving the park.
 Couldn't resist this picture, either----I've never seen a traffic sign that just said, "NO"!


Back on the home front---the spoiled pup was cuddling with Grandpa.
 At least he was until Grandpa and I went to Friends bar again.  Tonight was $5 burger night.  They were very good, as were the Woot, Woot, Tots.  Service was great again, too.
 And that was my day today---a fun touristy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment