Friday, September 8, 2017

9-7-2017  on to DeSoto Falls Recreation Area:

After a beautiful walk through Gibb's Garden, we decided to head into the mountains and find a waterfall or 2.  I had read that DeSoto Falls Recreation Area had 2 waterfalls in 2 miles, so that sounded appealing to me.  Of course we were out of data range and our car navigator system never heard of DeSoto Falls Recreation Area---so I plugged in Cleveland, Ga., and hoped we'd get in data range before we got that far.  When we stopped for lunch at Huddle House, I was able to get wi-fi.  It verified that there was indeed a DeSoto Falls Recreation Area and that it was nearer Dahlonega, but my phone couldn't figure out where we were.  I was able to plug in Dahlonega into the car navigator and we headed that way.  It was about an hour ride, but another pretty one.  With a few fun things to take pictures of as we rode by.







 Finally reached the park.  There was a day fee, but Ken's senior pass covered it.  So off I went while Ken took a nap in the car again. 
 I decided to take the shorter hike first---1/4 mile each way to the Lower DeSoto Falls.
 Wasn't too long before it started a pretty good climb.


 The last few yards
 the last few feet.
 I  was impressed.  It was a pretty falls. And I liked that the sun was peaking through the trees at a level that I could use a small aperture to get a sun flare along with a slow shutter for the smooth falls.
 Heading back down the trail.

 some mushrooms along the way
 I ran into a couple gals on their way up and asked them if they had been to the Upper Falls.  They had and said it was really worth seeing.  That's all I needed to hear to confirm that I should go to that falls, too.
 It was about 6pm now and the light was  a pretty warm color now.

more cool lighting and shadows

 This 3/4 miles started out nice and fairly flat.
 Most of it was along a stream.
 a little waterfall along the way.
 the last 1/4 mile or so was pretty steep, but the end was worth it!
There were really nice viewing platforms for both of these falls.  The trail was pretty good, too.
 There were even a few benches along the way.
 It was a beautiful walk.


 almost back to the beginning.  The camp ground for the park is just on the other side of the river.
 Crossing over the river on my way back to the car.
 Right by the parking lot is this area where there are about 5 or 6 picnic tables amply spaced.  
 Back on the road again.  We were about an hour away from home.  But it was in interesting ride and different from the way we got here.
 a vineyard in Cleveland, Ga. 
It was a great day.  Love playing tourist!  So many waterfalls to explore---so little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment