Friday, September 8, 2017

9-7-2017  Gibb's Garden:

Been awhile since I've been to Gibb's Garden.  And it'll be awhile before we have the chance to take a sight seeing day trip for awhile.  So---I suggested to Ken that we go somewhere.  It was a beautiful unseasonably cool day (about 77 and low humidity).  He had no objections, so about 11:30, we hit the road.
First we headed about an hour West to Gibb's Garden.  I have a season pass there and haven't been there in the summer yet.  It's billed as the Season of Color.  So off we went----
Our journey took us along SR 20 to Cumming.  They're still working on it, but it was flowing well today.  Probably by the time they finish the road work, we will have moved.
 Finally made it to the Gardens.  It's beautiful drive into the grounds.
 There certainly was a lot of color there.   Maybe not many flowers, but sure are a lot of colorful leaves.


There were a few water lillies still blooming in the Japanese Garden.
 Even some trees starting to change colors.
 more colorful leaves
 At one point I turned around and was initially startled by this guy---until my eyes really focused on it and I realized it was a sign.  I guess they're around the property to scare things away---like me.
 But it didn't work.  I went back to taking pictures.
 more of the Japanese Garden

 Japanese Maple?
 a Red Spotted Purple.  How it got that name is a mystery to me!
 The rose garden was vivid today, so I walked up the hill to check it out.
 Too bad the Crepe Myrtles weren't still in full bloom. 
 Back to the Japanese Garden
 Love all the water lillies.
 on into the Children's Sculpture Garden. 

 These guys must be use to being fed.  As I stood there, several of them swam over to me.
 I decided to walk up to the house and see if you can actually get into it.   This was along the way, so I went to cut through it.
 Thought this table in the covered bridge was really interesting.
 Love the shadows.  The lighting conditions were pretty tough today---it was super sunny.
 At least there was a lot of shade--and more statues.
 Not sure what this is, but it's interesting.
 At one point I sat down to take a break.  This guy decided to join me. 
 Back on the trail and admiring the colorful leaves again.
 love this white and green lined walkway.
 The Gibb's house.  That's when I found out that Mr. Gibb's actually still lives here! Jim Gibbs is the retired President and founder of Gibbs Landscape Company, one of Atlanta’s leading landscape companies for more than 40 years.  Needless to say---I was not allowed to tour the house.
 But I did sit and admire his house for awhile.
 Then back to taking pictures.  Interesting flower!

 more roses.
 LOVE these leaves!!!!
 heading back down the hill
 I thought of riding the tram, but I think there's a fee for that.  So I walked.
 Glad I walked.  Found a couple interesting critters on my way down.
 garden snake?
 more cool shadows.
 This guy caught my eye.  I've never seen anything like him before.  Later research told me this is a Saddleback caterpillar.  It becomes a moth, but right now it has very toxic "hair".   I guess it's sort of like a jellyfish.  Sure glad I didn't touch it!
 continuing on down the trail
 a waterfall!---man made, but still a waterfall!
 Back past the Japanese Garden and a bunch of these dragonflies.
 one more.
 another little waterfall.
 And back to the gift shop/exit/entrance. 
It was still early and such a pretty day, that we decided to drive farther North into the mountains and on to a couple more waterfalls I haven't been to yet---DeSoto Falls (lower and upper).  

No comments:

Post a Comment