Wednesday, January 10, 2018

1-9-18  icy Amicalola Falls:

Been awhile since we've been up to the mountains.  So with the weather warming up above freezing, I suggested we ride up to a waterfall and see if they still have ice around them like I've seen in so many Facebook pictures lately.  Ken suggested Amicalola and I quickly agreed.  So off to the mountains we went.
Even in the dead of winter it's a nice ride.  There were even some Christmas decorations still up---like here at the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame in Dawsonville.
 The country roads took us past a lot of quaint little churches


on tree lined 2 lane roads
 I was wondering if there would still be ice by the falls.  I quickly found my answer right by the parking lot.  The little pond was iced over.
 heading up the trail
 there really wasn't much ice at the lower cascades.
 a little more ice patches farther up the trail
 A lot of the ice had already melted, but it was still pretty, and different from other times we were here.

 This time I continued past the lower lookout.  Lots of steps, but with the temps in the mid 50s, it was a comfortable climb.
 almost to the bridge.

 part of the cascading waterfall from the bridge
 the left side of the upper falls
 looking down from the bridge.
 There were even lots of icy patches on the hillside
 and some hearty fungi
 some of the dried out foliage along the path
 heading back down to the car.
 more hearty fungi
 interesting bark on this downed tree
 more of the trail back to the parking lot
 Once I got back to the car, Ken suggested we head up to the lodge and see if their cafe was open.  So we did.  I got a kick out of the bears warming up by the fireplace near the lodge entrance.
 The restaurant was open---although it wasn't busy today!  Last time we were here there was a buffet bar and lots of people, but that was when the leaves were at peak color.
 This time of year they don't have full buffet, just a salad bar.  But we ordered from the menu.  Ken got the club sandwich.
 I got the Ruben.  Both were excellent.
 The lobby in the lodge
 from the patio off the lobby.  Wonder what they're doing?---pouring another patio?
 It was pretty foggy at the lodge.  Looking back at the front of the lodge as we were leaving.
 A short ways from the lodge is the top of the falls.  So we went to check it out.  Looking down towards the lower lookout.
 more of the upper falls.
 across from the waterfall is the creek that makes the waterfall.  It surprises me how small the creek is for such a large waterfall!
 From the bridge, you can continue up the steps to the top of the falls.  I had considered calling Ken when I was on the bridge and having him meet me there, but decided just to walk back down to the car in the parking lot at the base of the falls.
 When I was leaving the bridge earlier, I looked back up and noticed someone with stroller on the bridge.  Figured there must be a way to get there without all the steps!  So when we passed this trail along the road,  we stopped and I walked it to see how that trail was.

 It was a really nice trail---made of pieces of old rubber so it was sort of cushiony. 
 Had some pretty nice views of the distant mountains, too.
 Can't believe all the times we've been here to Amicalola and I never walked this trail before!
 it was only 1200' to the bridge. 
 The steps to the top of the falls is to the left, the bridge is to the right.
 Looking towards the steps I took earlier to get to the bridge.
another view of the upper falls.   Ice was cracking off the rocks and bouncing down the falls now.
 some really hearty greens!  It's been below freezing for about a month and these plants look good.
 Remain on the marked trail or you may end up like the truck to the right (up the hill)!
 The walkway was really nice, but there were a few areas where it was pretty steep.  I think it would be hard to push a wheelchair up some of these hills.
 Looking across towards the lodge.
 note the waterfall through the trees to the right.
 the way to the bridge was mostly downhill.  But it really wasn't bad.
 especially with views like this.
 and this.
 I'll definitely do this trail again.
 Yea, a green tree.
 you can bet I would not approach a bear if I saw one!!!  Who would???!!!!
 By the time we were heading back down the mountains, it had cleared up pretty nicely.
 nice seeing blue skies
 and little traffic!
 a farmer getting to work
 always see a lot of these trucks when we're near Gainesville.
It was nice getting out and exploring again.  Can't wait for the weather to stay warmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment