Thursday, August 3, 2017

8-3-17  On to Panther Falls:

Earlier when we were at Minnehaha Falls, a couple told us about another nearby waterfall by the National Parks camp ground they're staying in.  So when we came to the park, we decided to check it out.   This was another .5 mile, or so, walk to the falls.  Don't know why, but it did seem a lot more humid on this walk!   This is actually a hike to 2 waterfalls---Panther Falls and about .5 miles further, Angel Falls.   The couple who told me about the falls said Angel Falls wasn't that great, but Panther was worth it.  So that's as far as I went.
 It started off going up


 finally evened out.

 this one spot was muddy.  Don't know why just there?! 
 bit more of a climb
 a few "bridges"
 Spring in a box---
 signs along the way.  This is explaining about the above rock work---from the 1930s---acting as a water cooled fridge for perishables for Camp Rabun.
 Haven't seen these since Hawaii.  These rock "good luck" towers were in the shallow river.
 continuing on.
 mushroom
 another bridge.
 more fungi
 There were several bridges going back and forth across the stream.
 Finally got to the falls.  It's another pretty cascading falls---very similar to Minnehaha Falls that I had just been to.  This time I was here by myself.  Did come across a couple heading in as I was heading out, but for the rest of the hike I was alone.
 I need to get a bean bag so I can take better slow shutter photos!  But for now, my camera rests on a rock.
 Heading out.
 Here is where the trail continues on to Angel Falls (to the right and up).  It's suppose to be a tougher trail, too.  I took the trail to the left and headed back to the car.
 a very late blooming rhodie.
 interesting plants along the way
 lots of ferns
 the smaller waterfall by the parking lot.
 Back on the road and heading around Lake Rabun.  The same lake we saw from coming out of Minnehaha Falls.
 a river we crossed
This route took us to the highway pretty quickly.  Much better route then the one the car navigation system sent us on to get out there!  On to the next falls---Toccoa Falls!

No comments:

Post a Comment