Tuesday, June 6, 2017

5-29  through 6-6, 2017 walking along the nature trails by our apartment complex:

Been getting out on the trail more lately.  Been rather wet lately, so I didn't want to ride my bike.  Plus the trail is rather short for biking, anyway.  Nice for walking, though, since there are several trails that can be taken.  Usually I stay on the paved ones when I'm walking.
Going down the one trail leads to this large lookout with seats.
 Along the pavement are lots of little wild flowers


 little purple flowers.
 white ones.
 If I didn't know better, I'd think hops grew on trees!  These remind me a lot of hops.
 a fragrant bush flower
 There was a dirt path that led away from the paved trail, so I decided to check it out and see if it led to the stores down Mall of Georgia Blvd.  I was surprised to see this big pond.
 Looks like an old road
 the road didn't last very long, but it looked like the trail continued.
 looking back on the road and pond.
 soon I came to another pond.
 at this point, the trail ended.
 so I had to back track to the first path.
 a common buckeye.  I don't remember seeing a butterfly like this before.
 There are even a lot of wild black berries along the paved trail.  Too bad they're only about the size of my pinky nail.  Wish they grew like the ones in Oregon!
 a close up of the hop-like thing.
 I'm not sure, but I think the above "pods" turn into leaves.  I think this is what they'll look like soon.  Just an assumption.
 back to the area where the apartment complex joins to the Greenway.  Lots of tables and seating, as well as a couple bar b q pits.  But I've never seen anyone using them.
 Continuing on past the apartments---I wondered what these turned into,
 then I saw this.
 The extensive bridge over Ivy Creek by the apartments.
 On another day I walked back to the old mill.  It had rained a lot the last couple of days.  There's usually water flowing over the wall, but I've never seen it this wild.
 There are even a couple benches here by the Mill.  I often see people fishing in the pond above the wall.
 Heading back towards the apartments.
 It's a pretty good size river in some parts.  Especially after some rain.
 This was the Mill a day later.  Still a good flow, but not as much as the day before.
 Another bench along the trails.  They do have a lot of nice areas where one can just sit and rest---or wait out rain spells.  I sat on this very bench one time as a squall went over and actually stayed pretty dry under the tree canopy.
 The rains also brought out a bunch of fungi.  Wonder if any of them are edible?
 Another creature I've never seen before!  Looks like a Silver Spotted Skipper.
That was this weeks finds along the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment